Thursday, September 2, 2010

Blog Assignment 2

Did You Know?

The video "Did You Know" was extremely eye opening to me. I mean I have always known that technology was advancing around me, but just because people or teachers were saying it. Actually seeing this video with all the great and interesting facts about technology and how it is changing was just amazing to me. This really hit home when the video showed how long it took for radio, tv, and the internet to reach a market audience of 50 million, which was very rapid.
It is hard to comprehend that the amount of text messages sent and received daily exceed the total population of the PLANET! When the first text message was sent only in 1992. This video should show how everybody in all careers should stay updated on the rapid changes in technology and how important it is to our future.

Mr. Winkle Wakes

The video "Mr. Winkle Wakes" was a little confusing to me. In some ways I can completely understand and relate to him because I am not the most technologically advanced person either. I was completely overwhelmed last week when I walked into EDM 310 for the first time because even though I can work my phone and my computer, I have never had to learn or use some of the programs and equipment we are suppose to use in this class.
On the other hand I do not think that schools today could possibly still be the same as it was a 100 years ago. Most schools around the world today have advanced in some way or another in technology because most schools have computers, projectors, or even just a calculator of some sort. The good thing about this video though is it shows how easy it is to get behind in our world of technology today and that we must keep learning everyday.

Schools Kill Creativity

Ken Robinson gives a great speech in this video about how schools are only teaching a certain curriculum that is basically just based on academic achievements. Teachers in schools today are stressing the classes like math, history, language arts, and science and are irrelevant to the fact that other classes such as art and dance are vital to creating well-rounded kids. By doing this schools are punishing the kids who are not exactly the best at academics, but have other great talents and that are very creative.
By teaching these main classes only, teachers are preparing everyone for the same things in the future. This leaves no room for a child to be creative and possibly grow up to do something unique with their talent. I think this was a great speech given by Mr. Robinson and more schools around the world should listen and learn from this video.

Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

In this video Vicki Davis shows how the traditional style of teaching, standing in the front of the class lecturing for an hour, is not always the best way of helping all kids reach their potential. I think Mrs. Davis said it right when she said "Every student can learn..the trouble is when they only have paper and pencils, then only certain types of children are going to succeed." I completely agree with this statement, instead of limiting the students to one way of learning let all children have an opportunity to succeed in different ways, such as in her class or like our EDM 310 class.
I respect Mrs. Davis because of what she is doing and it seems like all of her students do as well. Every student in the video looked like they were enjoying what they were working on and most importantly they were enjoying learning. I think more classes should be taught this way all over the world because it will make us a much more intelligent civilization because of how technology is being created every day.

2 comments:

  1. Ryne,
    I enjoyed reading your perspectives on the videos we watched. The one that really hit home for me was Mr. Winkle Wakes. Your comment states that it was confusing for you. Mr. Winkle represents the teacher that refuses to progress with the times; the teacher that chooses to remain "old-school" because that is where he or she is most comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many of those text messages do you send daily?

    You write "...most schools have computers, projectors, or even just a calculator of some sort." Hardly enough for survival. And I do mean survival. My prediction is that schools will be replaced as educational learning centers unless they really get on the stick fast!

    In commenting about Ms. Davis you write about lectures in this way "...the traditional style of teaching, standing in the front of the class lecturing for an hour, is not always the best way of helping all kids reach their potential." I would ask is it ever the best way to insure a learning opportunity for kids?

    ReplyDelete