Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Blog Assignment 3

A Vision of Students Today

When I watched this video it did remind me a lot of my experience as a college student so far. Most of the facts the students raised up I can completely agree with or relate to, such as "I buy 100 dollar textbooks that I never open", or I have seen students pay for classes and never show up, and the most important one is that "I am a multi-tasker..(I have to be)".
Some things that I did not see on the video and that I would add to it is, for athletes having to practice so many hours a day. Also I see many students working out or running around campus, I would also include those in my experience.

It's Not About the Technology

I thought this was an outstanding post. I agree with everything Ms. Hines said about how the future is not all about how much technology we have, but it is about people learning and understanding how to use the technology. There is no reason for schools to waste great amounts of money on computers and other types of technology, when the teachers either do not know how to use it or just prefer not to waste their time using it.
By all teachers learning the basics of all these new technological systems and how to use them to benefit the classrooms, the possibilities and rewards will be endless.

Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

In the post by Karl Fisch he is basically saying "If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write." I also agree that all teachers should be somewhat technologically literate, but I also think the amount of knowledge can be fluctuated because each teacher is teaching different studies. Each teacher should always be willing to learn more about technology, but what they learn can vary in each class.

Gary Hayes' Social Media Count

This was an amazing post. To see all the numbers rising so quickly was mind blowing. Mr. Hayes's media count really shows how much technology is being used out there already and gives us an idea of how much we have to be ready for and expect in the near future.
As future teachers, we all should start learning as much as we can and keep up with all the rapid improvements in technology in order to teach our kids at the best of our ability.

2 comments:

  1. I think that exercise is a very important aspect of not only college life, but life in general. If we exercise, of more if we have time to exercise, we are obviously more healthy and healthier people typically do better in school.
    I think that we pretty much agree on the It's not about technology post!
    I think that it is very important as future educators for us to stay up-to-date on the technology surrounding us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryne,

    I also thought A Vision of Students Today should have shown athletics. I, myself, played soccer my first two years, and I was constantly practicing and traveling to play games. It took up so much of time!

    The quote you used by Karl Fisch is one of my favorites! I think it is so true, and like Mrs. Hines says, we must be learners and also know how to be teachers without technology. As teachers, we have to know the fundamental skills to teach and then also know how to use technology to enhance our students' learning. Using, learning, and equipping are essential for a teacher.

    ReplyDelete